A coffee cup and five minutes. That’s all you need for your new favorite treat for your next night in. Stir, zap, then sit back and enjoy your own personal cup of keto chocolate chip mug cake.
I’ve got plenty of keto desserts to share too— keto chocolate and keto chocolate chip cookies.
Make the Most of Your Mug
I like to have my cake and eat it too! What I don’t like is half of a giant cake taking up space in my fridge. And for now, I’m not usually serving enough people to take down an entire cake. So, what’s a girl to do?
Make a mug cake.
A handful of ingredients and a few minutes. I don’t know why these haven’t always been a trendy thing. The genius of this recipe is how fast and easy it is to make—so of course I use Lily’s chocolate baking chips—but if you happen to have any homemade keto chocolate on hand—it will work beautifully here.
This should probably serve two. But it doesn’t. On the (very) rare occasion that I get a night (and the couch!) to myself, this is what I’m making.
And I’m not sharing.
Besides. We have so many coffee cups. My husband can make his own! 😂 – Linds x
- Base: For this keto chocolate chip mug cake almond flour is my favorite gluten-free base — keto chocolate chip mug cake coconut flour will have a very dry texture.
- Fluff: Whey protein isolate is used to make our cake fluffy, and give otherwise dense keto flour a cake-like texture. The important component here is WHEY, no other sources of protein will work. If you don’t want to use protein powder, you can use NOW psylliym husk instead. If doing this, you’ll want to add 1 tablespoon of unsweetened almond milk as well.
- Sweetener: Granular Swerve or Lakanto are my favorite brands, and are sweeter than most erythritol products. Generally speaking, erythritol is 70% as sweet, so if using a different product, adjust accordingly.
- Chocolate: I love Lily’s low carb chocolate chips for the mug cake recipe!
Keto Mug Cake Variations
Use this recipe as a base, and enjoy a different flavor of keto mug cake recipes everyday of the week! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Swap the chips – Lily’s now makes sugar free white chocolate, dark, even butterscotch.
- Add shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Turn this into a keto chocolate mug cake with cocoa powder.
- Add low carb fruits such as berries (raspberries and strawberries are low in net carbs).
- Add chopped keto nuts like walnuts or pecans.
I like to top this keto chocolate chip mug cake with a dollop of keto ice cream or keto whipped cream.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Combine the almond flour, whey protein isolate, baking powder, salt, and Swerve/Lakanto together in a 12 ounce (or larger) microwave safe mug or small bowl.
Add the egg, vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of sugar-free chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Microwave on high for 60 seconds.
Immediately sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips on top.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Sugar Free White Chocolate
- Chocolate Fat Bombs
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs
- Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup
- Keto Hot Chocolate
Low carb Keto Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Servings : 1
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 2 mins
Total Time 7 mins
Mix. Combine the almond flour, whey protein isolate, baking powder, salt, and Swerve/Lakanto together in a microwave safe mug (note 5). Add the egg, vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Microwave on high for 60 seconds. Immediately remove the warm cake and sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips on top. Enjoy!
Rate this Recipe
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Flour - using a fine grained product such as Bob's Red Mill or Costco will give you the most "flour-like" texture. Strongly recommended.
- Whey protein powder is needed to make this cake fluffy, and can't be substituted with any other type of protein.
- Whey substitute - The only sub here is NOW psyllium husk (although I much prefer whey here as far as taste/texture go!) -- if you would prefer to use this, add 1 tablespoon of almond milk.
- Lakanto or Swerve were used to test this recipe. If using a different brand of erythritol, keep in mind it's 70% as sweet.
- Mug size - Be sure to use a microwave safe mug or ramekin that holds 12 ounces of liquid or more, as the cake will rise as it cooks (then sink back down as it cools).
- Chocolate chips - Unlike traditional cakes, we can't toss the chocolate in flour to prevent it from sinking. This is why we sprinkle it on top when the cake is still warm.
Calories: 271 kcal Total Carbohydrates: 18 g Protein: 12 g Fat: 21 g Fiber: 10 g Sugar: 1 g Net Carbs: 3 g Sugar Alcohol: 5 g
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blog is strictly prohibited.
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Are you seeking a Custom Keto Plan? You can develop a personalized keto diet regimen plan customketo. The fantastic feature of this strategy is that it offers you every little thing you require to begin burning fat right away. You will certainly be in ketosis within 48-72 hours, then you'll be shedding fat full time from that mention. As well as the food tastes outstanding! Each meal was perfectly planned by a keto nutritionist as well as a first-rate chef. Yet virtually every meal can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.